Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I Was A Cross Between Pretty Woman and A Compton Gang Member So We Went To Galveston

Richard Gere playing businessman Edward Lewis,...Image via Wikipedia

"He said he's taking the day off."

"He's taking the day off?!?"

"That's what he said. He's taking the day off."

Quotes from Pretty Woman, in case you've been under a rock or girlfriendless since the 90's.

As you may recall, in Pretty Woman Edward took the day off to play hooky with Vivianne.

I'm assuming that you feel a little like Phillip Stucky as I behaved like Edward Lewis yesterday. I took the day off and didn't update. So it was that on Monday morning you were still staring at LMFAO Friday.

I took the day off to bitch at my husband about neglecting to spend time with his wife. A point that wouldn't have been as effective to argue if I'd spent two hours putting a Monday morning post together. So I'm sorry you had to sacrifice, but I was saving my marriage.

Between his buddy moving in and my not going outside to smoke anymore I hardly see hubby lately... unless he's coming in to eat and make a disaster area of the house. Which had me feeling like a maid and wanting to yell shrilly at both of them until their ears and eyes started bleeding tell his friend, "This is MY man; Get Your OWN, you bleepbleepedybleep!!!" while I discretely got my knife ready cause I was going to have to cut the suckah.

So it was that hubby, munchkin and I, unprepared with a destination, camera or diaper bag, took an impromptu family road trip...

And wound up in Galveston. It's been over a year since Ike devastated the poor island and hubby was a little shell-shocked pointing out all of the places where things used to be.

It was my Yankee-ass first visit to Galveston, which is a shame because seeing it in post-natural-disaster-rebuilding mode is no way to meet a place.


It went from this:
Photobucket

in March 2007, to this:

Debris from Hurricane Ike lines the seawall Monday, Sept. 15, 2008 in Galveston, Texas. Pictures, Images and Photos

on September 15, 2008 to this:

Photobucket

They've done an amazing job cleaning up all the matchsticks that were restaurants and souvenir shops among other things, but the coastline is pretty much naked now.

The one hotel still standing majestically out on the water is actually condemned which you can see as you get closer...

Photobucket


I'm glad I hadn't seen Galveston before Ike, because I would have been heartbroken to see it now. As it was, it was sad seeing all the construction still going on.

Even if you can't argue with a remodeling project initiated by God.

For a much better photo-article of the destruction of Ike and the year later aftermath, GO HERE.



MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Dee at Pedestrian Palate said...

I forget that Texas has a huge shoreline. So much of the typical cliched version of Texas is the cattle country. It is sad to see a city that you love ravaged by a disaster (natural or manmade). I do miss my dear, sweet New Orleans. I think it's time to go back.

The Retired One said...

So sad to see all that damages but good to see them reconstructing their town. The shoreline looks really pretty.
Good for you, Aria...taking a side trip with your husband. Too bad you didn't leave the little one with a sitter, though...
you two need to plan a get away with just the two of you again so you can honeymoon it a little!!!!

Unknown said...

"Aria'z Ink" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope you like the image I featured, and I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2009/10/sites-to-see_30.html