Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Breakthrough With Goals

Eat, Pray, Love really set me off on a renewed journey of introspective reading, and of course, I've been getting suggestions from my Mom & Sis about making sure I read The Secret, The Last Lecture, and Tuesdays With Morrie. If these are anything like my experience with Eat, Pray, Love, I'll most likely pick them up sometime next year, when they are neither as wildly popular as they are now, and when my family members have forgotten that they suggested them to me at all (I'm the same way with TV shows for some reason). Upon their completion, I'll wind up hitting myself on the forehead questioning myself as to why it took me so long to get around to reading this brilliant, life-changing book. Knowing this about myself, I started looking into some inspirational sites and free e-books, (I am one of the few people left in the free world that doesn't spend money online--as a general rule) to get me started. Luckily, they are one of the newest big marketing angles, and free e-books are everywhere.


I found one that instructs on "the Secret"-like principles, and I started reading it. One of the things the author talks about is finding your passion. So I started thinking about it a bit, and don'tcha all fall out in shock, but after being hit on the head with a feather (taped to a brick) I realized that my big passion was writing. Mind you, if I'd been doing this before I'd started blogging, I'd have pondered long and hard. For almost two years, writing had fallen off of my daily to-do list. Without even reading the book, I'd managed to do step one. So, far so good... next was the Goals portion.


I have never, ever, ever been good at goals. I have no idea why I was created without the ability to complete this seemingly simple task. This isn't new. I've been battling this particular ability/personality flaw since our HS guidance counsellor gave us this task in freshman year. Not only are my desires of the universe extremely vague and somewhat juvenile, I would recognize this and go blank when faced with the all important two-part question, "Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?" To which, the only reply I've ever managed to come up with has been, "breathing hopefully... oh yeah, and rich would be good too." The breathing part is my only accomplished goal. I can't imagine why... with such an easy, definitive list like that to shoot for. Y'all know I'm being facetious, right?


Surprisingly or not, I've read a lot of these types of books over the years. I have always understood the principles behind them, but putting them into action was my downfall--kind of like Senior Physics where I (true story!) received an award from the teacher at the end of the year for the highest ratio of understanding to implementation--totally understood it, but couldn't get any of the formulas or experiments to work (I squeaked my way into graduation with a D in that class). Many years later, and many years into my self-improvement journey, I am still goal-list-less.

The universe finally had pity on me and gave me the wisdom that I needed. First thing that has consistently held me up on the goals list was the 5/10 year thing... I know it sounds bizarre, but I've never been comfortable with those numbers. Those time frames never 'spoke to me', as it were. So, after all of these years, I finally asked myself the breakthrough question, "what's a comfortable time frame For Me?" Once it was asked, I knew the answer in an instant! I prefer one question; "Where do I see myself in 7 years?" After all, you're body can completely regenerate itself in 7 years, and in numerology, 7 is the number of the universe, and it's been one of my favorite numbers since childhood; so for me to do this list I'm going to think outside of your rigid little box, Mr Author-Man, and I'm going to use 7 years. I don't have to follow the guidelines to a T. Hello, that's what the word guidelines means--Guide you along these Lines-- besides, I'm not getting graded or judged by another on my answers anymore, this is simply between me, myself and I-- and we decided that I Am Allowed The Latitude To Tweak The Questions To Suit Me, by the powers vested in me by the universe and good-common-sense.


Once I got that 'Duh-Damnit!' wisdom/brainstorm under my belt, it became a much simpler prospect to do the list. I still have issues with trying to be more specific than 'breathing and rich', while, at the same time, not so specific that I don't give the universe room to maneuver and fulfill my desires in ways that haven't even occurred to me yet--which, in my personal opinion, is how the universe gets it's jollies.


Therefore, I've started to do a goal list for the first time in many, many moons. It's not done. It's going to take me some time. But my first goal is to finish the list... let's see if I can accomplish it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm certain you will reach those goals with that attitude. I have learned to set myself short term targets to reach. If I can do a little at a time, I can build on each success when I reach it, and move on to the next stage, until I finally end up where I want to be.

Anonymous said...

OH--Come on Aria I know you are better at goals than you say. For one look at your site, this was a goal and you are constantly fixing and working on this thing all the time. It looks really good and I love your Blogs. You just have to get started on the first goal and roll with it. Then start another and do like you did for your site be determined. You can also set small goals to get you going. Don't think of them as goals, the word goal W/ an s sometimes freaks people out. Consider your list as just tings you want to accomplish or do. All in all it is still goals without that awful word. Thats how I roll. lol